View Single Post
Old 2013-03-24, 14:33   Link #46
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
We were shown at least one thing: Saki managed to save several queerats colonies. That in itself is quite an accomplishment, given how dead-set the others were on exterminating them all. It's enough to make me think Saki will be successful in the long run.
So they spared some of them, although I think it's rather dubious that she'd be able to convince them considering the lynch mob we saw at the end with Squealer. However, the rats are still their slaves and nothing changed on that front from what I can see. Return to status quo?

Quote:
This was put into perspective tons of time during the show, starting with the very first episode. Their society is not as peaceful and prosperous as Sibyl wants them to think. And I'd take a less peaceful society any day so long as it's not totally isolated from the outside world and run by a totalitarian regime (made up of psychopaths to boot!). I don't buy for one second that Sibyl's benefits outweighs all the bad. Sibyl is not necessary for modern society to survive.
A few criminally asymptomatic individuals doesn't make their society exactly that unsafe, and we have a police force to clean up the few bugs in the system. The damage caused by those few individuals is nothing compared to the crime in our world today.

And I am not saying the benefits outweigh the bad, but the bad isn't explicitly clear in this society. It's easy to see how people could be complacent in such a society and allow these changes to take place in their lives. When crimes rates drop to astronomically low numbers, and people now struggle far less to find what they are good at in this society, it's easy to see why feel comfortable. Something abstract like "but now we don't have free will" is not enough. It's easy to see why people lost sight of what's important in their lives.

Quote:
They understood him, but Kogami was too obsessed by revenge to give a damn, and Akane ultimately decided he was wrong and essentially sided with Sibyl. The sequence you're talking about actually made me very hopeful Akane was attempting to trick them and was only pretending to go along... I was mistaken. She actually had no plan in mind.
Why should Kogami give a damn? Makishima caused a lot of death and destruction. He's evil, and the society he was in didn't allow him to judge him properly. He went around the law to fulfill his goals and went rogue. Effectively he left Makishima get to him.

And no, Akane didn't say that Makishima's philosophy is wrong. In fact she seems to agree with his point of view, but she views Makishima's actions as wrong. He was too radical, he wanted to destroy their entire society. That's just unacceptable and foolish. Akane made the right choice IMO.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote