View Single Post
Old 2004-01-24, 01:17   Link #1069
bob

Wow... I didn't think that my inability to conjure up a coherent sentence in French would bring up such a lively conversation....I greatly appreciate the encouragement by Thany, Superchop, Joe Dalton and of course Hellychan.

Much to my dismay, I used to be able to hold a reasonable conversation about 10+ years ago at the end of my grade schooling... sigh.. I could also write sentences back then too... correct ones no less… honest

With the minimal exposure that I've had to people who actually speak the language in my part of the country, my reasonable skill level (for a tourist that is) has degraded to the point of pure embarrassment .... I guess the next time I'm in Europe I gotta spend about a month in France to hopefully boost my abilities to that of a crappy tourist... (making note to check if I have relative I can bum off a place to stay).. Would be nice to be able to claim that I'm trilingual (enough ) again instead of being plain ole bilingual....

KaeMeera:

I can totally understand his position… I’d be totally nervous/proud that so many guys where eyeballing my wife… He’s got to be a bit more secure thou.. It says a lot that you married him in the first place

Lol… he doesn’t have to worry about me thou… I live way too far and would probably get lost on the Trans Canada Highway on the way

Hellychan:

Not a problem, complements always seem to sound better in the person’s native tong and I make an effort if I can to at least pay one compliant in that language.. My only fear was that my English would sound better than my French thereby ruining the complement lol. I am happy that it wasn’t the case

Thany:

Yes Sensei I will write that one down now (jotting down 'Mon Francais est très mauvais, mais vous êtes très belle' for later reference)

I appreciate the correction, it goes a long way for me to getting a better feel for the grammar again.

Joe Dalton:

I know what you mean about the grammar, but it’s a bit worse for me as French has similarites to other southern European languages I’m familiar with. So falling into a trap of familiarity is much easier… sigh. But I agree with you, there’s nothing like being totally immersed in a language and culture to speed up the learning process

To All:

Seems like there’s been a lot of discussion about blue/purple hair as of late but no pictures… So I guess I’ll be the first to post one of me with dark purple hair/ with matching Go-Tee and eyebrows… Before anyone freaks thinking this is my regular attire I’ll explain… (see previous picture for a more normal looking me )

Explanation: It was Halloween… any guesses as to what I went as?

No I don’t have a tattoo… a friend of mine thought it would accentuate the look if she penned one in …. I think it works out well…. I’ll see if I can find another angle of this picture but so far this is the only one I can find right now.
Gees... what's whith me and these huge posts anyhow?... next i'll be accused of being longwinded... hehehe
bob is offline   Reply With Quote