View Single Post
Old 2011-10-28, 11:23   Link #36
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That being said, it had some elements I didn't like. The brief Shouma/Ringo conversation seemed really weird to me. It gave me the feeling of...

MPD Penguin Exec 1: "Guys, what the heck are we going to do with Shouma and Ringo in this episode? We can't have them not show up at all, they're major protagonists!"

MPD Penguin Exec 2: "Let's make them have a brief conversation where they clearly state to the audience what their role in the anime will be here on out."

MPD Penguin Exec 3: "Brilliant! It's so electrifying!"

So instead of feeling like a believable conversation between two people, it rather came across as both breaking the fourth wall to inform the audience what their roles in the anime will be from now on. I almost would rather they simply gave the two characters the week off.
It's not supposed to be believable. It's surrealism.

Shoma: "I can't be with you and I can't be nice to you. That's the fate of our families."
Ringo: "I won't give up, even if you refuse. After all, I am your stalker! I'll change the fate."

The characters are speaking their own roles in the story. They've just said condensed versions of their own goals to the point where it seems like they've become mottos. Ringo calls herself Shoma's stalker like she doesn't think it's a pejorative term; like she actually believes that you naturally stalk the one you love. It almost seems like they aren't even talking to one another. It's just another one of the many surrealist elements in the series. I loved it.