View Single Post
Old 2011-03-03, 19:55   Link #22156
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Bear in mind, it's also the 80s. Even if he doesn't necessarily believe social services are crappy now, back in the 80s with powerful forces influencing them it's entirely possible they would be that ineffective.

Also, while Maria is treated badly and physically hit, it's hard to say that people at that time would've seen it as "abuse." I got slapped in public a few times by my mother and nobody batted an eye. That would certainly be different today. And verbal abuse? I see that even now, and it doesn't seem anyone's rushing to take anybody's kids away.

Maria herself doesn't seem to see her life as all bad. You might argue she's hopelessly naive, but she certainly seems to think her mama is great when she's not being bad.
And then I guess there's how reliable arc 4's Maria's diary actually is. In the same arc Maria crushes Rosa over and over and in later arcs their relations seems much better. Anyway I agree that Maria's case isn't really that bad, at least from the outside.

Still he did depict them as pretty useless. In arc 4 we're also told the Sumadera are using the cops to get Ange and do... not pretty stuff to her. Then there's people like Kinzo who does things above the law without ever facing legal consequences for them.

It might be all for the sake of the fiction but even then, it doesn't seem like Ryuukishi want us to trust the law system within his stories.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote