View Single Post
Old 2012-01-02, 10:04   Link #1953
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji01 View Post

I think what the author here was trying to say is the idols are meant t be the girl next door, and you want to cheer them on because they a so imperfect.
Exactly it, of course, that doesn't sell quite as well as the more glossy K-Pop. In the case of AKB (and their brethren), they depend on an identification with their fans, which is reinforced by the fact their fans can see them live almost any day of the year. That doesn't work quite so well if you're living outside Japan. K-Pop doesn't demand that level of commitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
On the same topic, what do idols do when they grow old and... well lose their sex appeal? Especially the Japanese and Korean ones since we are talking about them

I means singer can either try to catch up with the trend or lurk away and go oversea for ceremony performance from time to time. Actor can go on forever if they take the opportunities well.
I think most of them just fade into obscurity. If they're really lucky they shift into acting or a more mature music career. I'd say most end out just getting married (and until recently in Japan that often meant giving up your job)and having a normal middle class life.

Look at Mari Ijima of Macross fame, she actually does have a singing career, but superstar she ain't.

But also spare a thought for the hundreds of Idol wannabes who never get famous. What happens to them? It's a brutal business. There's probably 100 failures for every success.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote