View Single Post
Old 2012-03-27, 19:09   Link #15
GreatTeacherKen

I'm a person who tends to watch/read series whether I like it or not until the end once I start so I don't need people to convince me, "it gets better!" in order for me to finish it.

I think Gungrave could have skipped over most of its first episode since a later episode recycles most of the same material anyway but places it in context. But Gungrave got much more interesting as the characters are fleshed out after making a weak first impression.

I have a similar reaction to the Berserk anime, though it's like the original manga in that sense. In this case, the first episode feels more disconnected from the rest of the story since the anime never properly explains how things get to the point that it does. People who haven't read what happens in the manga, which does clearly explain what happened, will probably be completely confused.

For manga, Rosario + Vampire is the work that I think improved the most radically. The earlier chapters have rather bland artwork and the characters seemed like standard harem archetypes, but somehow around halfway into the first manga, Ikeda Akihisa's artwork improves radically to the point that it seems like the earlier chapters were drawn by someone else. The protagonist Tsukune seems to benefit the most from the art evolution; he looks dorky in the early chapters, but after the art evolution it's easy to see why he attracts so many women. Ikeda's artwork after the improvement is one of my favorites in terms of manga. The characters also get better development, particularly Moka who I thought was kind of bland at first, but I like her much more now as I think her personality is a lot more fleshed out.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote