Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-28, 17:57   Link #581
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's Taichi's secret reveal that caused mood whiplash for me, not Inaba's. Inaba's secret reveal doesn't cause mood whiplash, imo, because it just picks up where Taichi left off.

With Taichi's secret reveal, it's also a question of how it was lead into, imo. The way Taichi was leading into it, you'd swear it would be something absolutely huge and scandalous. But no, it's just that he whacks off to attractive classmates. That's not exactly expulsion-worthy, imo.
I think that was intentional misdirection. He appears (clenching fist, shows exasperation with her thinking) to be reaching the end of his patience and as if he's about to spill some deep, dark secret but, by establishing further that he's a *selfless freak*, he ends up confessing a rather inconsequential, almost no-need-to-be-said secret that degrades him (its an effective way to destroy your own reputation and the girl can easily start to look at you funny or avoid you) but helps put Inaba at ease. (She returns it later to even the fields because, as she's made ever so clear, she can't stand his selflessness. Its an effective mutual self-destruction clause.)

There's something very wrong with our White Knight. Much as how The Arthurian White Knight eventually becomes the Black Knight (depending on the author). It was rather important that he couldn't even give his true reason for why he was so supportive of Iori. There's something very wrong with his head, Inaba's onto it but she can't goad it out of him. Its a fun dynamic, as I see it so far, the girl who sees everyone's problems (except her own) and the boy who fixes everyones problems (except his own), and they help each other out of their own ruts as an added bonus.