View Single Post
Old 2014-02-13, 07:46   Link #89
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
That long-gone dynasty didn't die until 1913, and Taiwan was still part of the Qing dynasty in 1895. The PRC's claims over Taiwan date from 1949 - that's just over 50 years since Japan took over the island. To put that in perspective, Japan wants the Kuril islands back from Russia. The Kurils were lost in 1945, and neither Imperial Japan nor the Soviet Union even exist any more.
I don’t know about you, but over a century is quite “long-gone” to me. Also, what makes PRC’s claim over the island any more valid than if the Dutch or Spanish were to lay claim today? Hell, they got there before the Chinese ever did!

Quote:
Moreover, reclaiming the territories lost by the Qing is the second-most important foreign policy goal of the PRC. If Taiwan wasn't already a de facto independent country, China's claim would be extremely solid.
So when is China going to invade Mongolia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Of course they are. Leeches, not only to us, but for America too.
Just gonna throw this out there, when you start generalizing entire population group like that is when people tune you out and assign you the bigot label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
But for me and other young Vietnamese, it's the right of a country to be unified.
Great, Taiwan has never been part of the PRC, end of story then.

But frankly, that’s just you using whatever double-standard to suit your own world view. Should Italy then lay claim over the Mediterranean? Maybe the Vatican should launch another Crusade? Hell, maybe the Germans should invade Poland again, the English should retake the territories of their former empire, and the Mongols should just table flip everyone and claim half of the civilized world as its own.

Because, you know, it’s the right of a country to be unified, regardless of whether said country is even around.

Quote:
It's more than just economical or military gain. It's a bloodline that flows through each of us. Every ethnic in my country has a common folklore, you know? All of us are from the same mother, whether was she a fairy or a dragon. It's like Jew all over the world, how ever different their genes are, all look toward Israel.
Well then, time for the African nations to declare themselves rulers of the world then, after all that’s where the human race originated from.

Quote:
But maybe that these thing didn't matter much with Western culture. Guess that the word Communist alone would you guys tag us as devils, whether we are Vietnamese, Chinese, Cuban,...
Remember what I just said about generalizing entire population groups?