View Single Post
Old 2013-06-23, 16:47   Link #75
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I think my point was the this movie was taking shortcuts, and lots of them as well, except with character animation. Makoto Shinkai outright said that he likes to show off his craftsmanship, and there's nothing wrong with that. But Sunrise hasn't done such a thing here. If you've watched Kotonoha no Niwa, you'll notice every cut has some form of detail attached to it, be them gorgeous backgrounds or very simple yet elegantly implemented details. Nerawareta Gakuen has some, but other scenes have a complete lack of it. There's of course the issue of this being the longer movie, but as I've said some parts are lazily done, which is something I cannot say for Kotonoha no Niwa. As for character animation, the animation itself is great, but I am criticizing it in the more general context of excessiveness. The bizarro storyboard over which the animators have probably cried themselves to sleep for not working on something more meaningful, certain phrases of dialogue, the way they animated character interactions (for example the slap scene, the pump gun acorn assault), layers and layers of undeeded lightning effects and tons sakura petals, the rollercoaster of emotions--all this is super excessive. Because of it I cannot take it seriously, it feels like some sort of Byousoku 5 cm (short-haired girl with unrequited love, guy with unrequited love, surfer girl) and Haruhi (weird esper transfer student, time travel) parody. It's not, but it feels like one.
This "taking it seriously"stuff again...hmm...so selective....again all I can say is I simply cannot agree. I do not view my anime in the terms you seem to where you are looking for things to criticize, put down and insult staff and production wise unless given good reason rather than looking for things that pique my curiosity and interest so I just plain do not see these things that way other than the fact that I agree Shinkai has better overall art to his scenes with more lines and details. I don't think the existence of that fact invalidates the efforts of this movie though nor does the degree to which some of the techniques are used.

Again we'll see once I'm done, it seems to be a general concensus that this movie is utter shit or something, but I somehow doubt I'll see it that way in the end. Only a few times in my life have I seen a movie like this has started up like and it gravely disappointed me to the level others seem to be experiencing.

Quote:
Maybe you should take proper trolling lessons before saying something like that next time.
I'm not trolling dude it was an honest question seeing as how I cannot relate in the slightest to the reactions you are having to this movie. Try having some manners maybe would be my suggestion.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote