View Single Post
Old 2006-12-29, 23:36   Link #58
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian View Post
I have always wonder- can someone actually puncture a metal fire extingisher with a wood sword? Hmmm
No. Unless fire extinguishers in Japan are radically different from the ones used in the United States, what was shown in this episode can only be called dramatic license. I have an extinguisher of similar size and configuration in my basement workshop: it weighs in at about 15 pounds fully charged, and has a tested pressure rating of almost 600 psi (normal charge is about 200 psi). A bokken is going to make very little impression on something like that, even if you put it on the floor and pound it until the bokken breaks. Unless you happen to knock off the valve stem, in which case the cylinder will rocket off at a high rate of speed, not explode. Plus, the extinguisher was in the air when Yuuichi hit it with his sword, so his blow would tend to deflect the course of the extinguisher rather than have a crushing impact on the cylinder wall. Which is a very good thing for Yuuichi! Because if he had managed to rupture that extinguisher when it was about 3 feet away from his body... 200 psi + shrapnel from metal cylinder = Kanon 2006 (and Yuuichi) end sooner than expected. Actually, Yuuichi would have been in a pretty bad way if that extinguisher had hit him like the bucket did. Mai does not play around, ne? Student council president would be wise to take note of that.