View Single Post
Old 2008-07-20, 08:52   Link #90
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm afraid I'm leaning more toward Sorrow-K's view about this show. I do like the glossy noir style and the acting, but so far the story seems almost childish with holes you can drive a truck through. Along with Ryoko's miraculous avoidance (survival?) at the bar, her whole approach to law enforcement reminds me of America in the 30's.

Perhaps I missed something, but isn't Ryoko both an officer of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police and the CEO of her family's private security firm? Nah, no conflict of interest there. What about minor things like warrants? Do Japanese police forces routinely break into suspicious buildings on their own and pilfer evidence?

I like the glamour and the romance. (It seems Ryoko must end up in Junichirou's arms at least two or three times per episode.) However, office romances between superior and subordinate almost always end badly in real life (been there, done that), and Ryoko's aggressively sexual manner with Junichirou makes me cringe a bit. I feel sorry for the guy; even if he has feelings for her, he'd still be putting his career on the line if he ever expresses them.

As for the opening credits, of course they're a tribute to Maurice Binder, who created the dancing nudes sequence that became the trademark for the Bond films. The first episode plays on the Bond theme as well, dressing Junichirou in that elegant tuxedo. There is also, perhaps, a touch of satire here, since it's unclear which of our leads is really the Bond-equivalent. Perhaps it "takes two" in this case mixing Ryoko's smarts and intuition with Junichirou's fists and more plodding, but still effective intelligence.

I'm still going to watch this for a while for its pure entertainment value and its adult cast. But having just watched all of Kure-nai again before starting this, the contrast was rather large.

And, tiger, I'm a bit surprised that you can sport Sora as your avatar and then say there haven't been any good jazz scores in anime since Cowboy Bebop. Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember the big-band sound that Yusuke Honma exploits so well in Oh! Edo Rocket.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote