View Single Post
Old 2010-11-09, 04:48   Link #51
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJuBeez View Post
Yeah, I think I agree, maybe the description wasn't clear enough?
To re-quote:
Quote:
Cyberpunk is a science fiction genre noted for its focus on "high tech and low life". The name is a blend of cybernetics and punk and...It features advanced science, such as information technology and cybernetics, coupled with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order.
source: Wikipedia
The bold phrases name what I think is missing from some of the entries, namely the 'punk' side. Taking "low life" and "...a breakdown...in the social order" into consideration, imagine the corresponding images and textures that might be used in a sig. Grunge? Smudging? Focus on lighting? A render with a character befitting a dirty, environmentally unpleasant society (think the opposite of utopia)?

These concepts may be difficult to grasp and portray in a sig, but I think you guys are capable of it if you try. Take the time to look into the steampunk or cyberpunk cultures so you have a better idea of what they entail.

If your sig just has some random character plugged into some wires or machine, yet lacks any connection to the type of society associated with "cyberpunk," then I suggest re-thinking the sig's approach to the theme.

Link to Wiki's list of cyberpunk works (literary, film, animation, etc.). I don't agree with all of them as some go into interplanetary travel and super-future technology instead of the near-future Earth, but it's a good start.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb

Last edited by Marina; 2010-11-09 at 05:00. Reason: included link