View Single Post
Old 2013-03-29, 10:38   Link #87
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^You're kind of dismissing the entire notion of drama right now. If everyone followed Naruto mindlessly then there would be no drama and there would be no series. You can certainly argue that some opposition is contrived (I argued as much a few weeks previous concerning characters/posters believing Naruto to be an underdog, I even argued it in respect to Team 7's placement), but overall the situations and events follow a very basic narrative tension where characters with basic dimension argue (With Fists!!!) points of view that differ from each other. Is Naruto always quantifiably right? Yes (kind of). But that doesn't mean every person in the Narutoverse knows he is right. That's probably why Kishimoto concocted this giant war so everyone could see Naruto being right, and effectively end all drama in the Narutoverse in one clean sweep.

edit: And, to be fair, it's not like people/countries/everyone in the real world doesn't do equally stupid things even though well documented sources of reason tell them not to...
But I don't disagree with any of that, my original argument wasn't that all people should know better or that ordinary folk making stupid choices over and over isn't perfectly realist or that the story doesn't need those mistakes to have a plot (I even addressed that when I mentioned that their world would be boring if everybody had followed Hashirama's lead) and personally I prefer the Tobirama/Danzou type rather than Shodai and Naruto whom I find boring and cheesy.
No, I was merely pointing out that it's difficult to write them off as realist/pragmatist when everything they do consistently and predicatively produce worse situations than they used to be. It kind of goes against what those terms mean.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote