Thread: Food you cook
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-23, 05:49   Link #79
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post

I've tried some new dishes in the past few months, but I've been meaning to make perogies at home (first attempt). Simple potato perogies, with a bit of diced, cooked onion inside of them (just a bit), and then pan sauteed with white onion slices in butter and with salt and pepper, and then served with sour cream.
I have polish friends and pierogi is also a national dish of poland..... I ate loads of them during xmas time, when I visited Poland. A very yummie thing to have.

Uhmmm, but I think the fried onion is supposed to go on the top not inside. My absolutely favourite variation of pierogi is the russian pierogi = potato/fresh cheese filling. If you want to make it a bit more fancy, you can add some grilled garlic to it. I learned how to fix the baked garlic extra for this recipe.
If you are interested how to make it (it goes well in mashed potatos as well), this is how to prepare it:

Get an entire head of garlic and cut off the tops of the cloves. Take a large enough sheet of aluminium foil, place the garlic head in the foil, drizzle olive oil over it, close the foil loosely over the garlic and bake it in the oven for 30-4O minutes, until the garlic starts turning dark golden. You might want to open the foil towards the end so that it can brown a little. Once the garlic is done, allow it to cool and then you can easily squeez the inside of the clove by pressing on the skin of the clove.

I ate the best pierogi ever in Krakow on the main train station in a cheep looking pub. I was hungry and wanted to eat something cheap and fast and thats why I entered the pub. They told me the pierogi are like the best in the whole town, which I thought was a shameless exaggeration. Well, it wasnt. They were awesome and the interesting twist to it was the dried dill seasoning on the top. You must know, that I absolutely hate dill and avoid it where I can, but strangely, it was just lovely on the pierogi.

Quote:
Cooking for yourself (eating healthier, saving money) is easy, actually. Just be aware that you don't need to make super fancy recipes that involve a lot of steps and complicated ingredients, and you don't need to cook every single day. Refrigerators and tupperware: use 'em.
Indeed. This is the easiest way for lazy people or people with tight time budgets. Just cook ahead and freeze it.
I personally have trouble eating the same thing over and over and thats why I have a set of really easy recipes that are done in 20min. Most people are amazed how I can whip up something this fast, but really guys, it is just a matter of practice. The more you cook the faster and more skilled you are at it. Usually, I just open the fridge, look whats inside and I decide on the spot what I will do with the ingredients available. This is how some of my tastiest recipes were born, the key to success is hunger and sudden inspiration.

BTW? I invented like the best marinade for chicken skewers EVER!!!! Anybody interested?

Last edited by warita; 2012-03-23 at 06:02.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote