View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 01:45   Link #939
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yeah Japan has tons of ways for people to see anime, but who bothers to stay up that late to watch late night TV? These sorts of practices make sure that anime is a smaller circle of people and it is weird for an entire industry to depend on this small group with little intention of trying to move away from it IMO.
I think it's a bit unfair to say that, given how producers and studios gladly accepted foreign investment and brought to life a whole bunch of anime that were designed to be more palatable to western audiences. This is what caused the anime bubble of mid to late 2000s. I think studios keep on trying to evolve. For example, Production I.G isn't thinking only of the domestic "anime" market, they basically expanded over to Canada to work on animation projects for movies and other properties. The projects may not be the anime we know and love, but this is one way to survive, and from that other anime projects might get funded. I'd also love if Japan did more to move away from the maniac late-night crowd, but it's not like they're not trying. It's just hard.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote