View Single Post
Old 2013-02-17, 10:27   Link #152
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Except all the Sybil brains get to take turns living in a body that's even MORE life like than what the hunter guy got. Touma was very clear in emphasizing that he still continued to exist as an individual. Considering how many Sybil brains are off duty at any one time (I think it's a few dozen), they all can't be residing in the Director body. They have to have multiple forms. The fact they kinda have to play a predetermined role when they go out in the world is nothing. High level sociopaths have to put up a fake face anyway when they're out among the populace.

And frankly Qilin, the fact that a collective body is modulating behavior isn't that encouraging when the collective body happens to all be serial killers to.
The body only exists to express the decision of the collective. It would be kinda laughable if you interpreted an individual's actions as equivalent to that of the collective. Touma's wishes are only his own, not that of the whole.

Well, if you're just going to assume that they're all "serial killers", I don't know why I bother. Still, killing innocent people in the name of societal order isn't exactly novel if we're looking at the history of governance.

Quote:
Touma is pretty explicitly saying that Sybil system constituent members are asymptomatic latent criminals like himself and Makishima. Frankly speaking, YOU'RE the one inferring that they use people other than criminally asymptomatic individuals as part of the system. And until you provide some kind of citation to back up your inference, I'm going to completely disregard it.
"The first qualification to be a constituent member of the Sybil System is to have an irregular personality that doesn't fit in with mankind's conventional standards. Without aimlessly empathizing with others, without being lost to emotion, you should be able to oversee human actions from an outsider's viewpoint. Such talent is desired."

What you're doing is that you're equating criminally asymptotic individuals to serial killers when all it really refers to is a deviant mode of thinking, one that can look at the whole picture objectively without being subjected to the values that permeate the system.

Quote:
Qilin....just stop it. Every time you say something it makes my head hurt.
I could probably say the same, so I guess we're kinda even?

Quote:
What makes this existentially terrifying, is that this social pressure is coming from latent sociopathic murderers.
Yeah, no. This is my turn to raise my eyebrows. Like I've been saying, this is matter of context. Obviously, no individual would willingly subjugate themselves to such oppression, but sometimes such things are necessary for the survival of the society. Heck, you could label any harsh dictator with a utilitarian mindset as a "latent sociopathic murderer", but they're not always bad.

Well, from the looks of it, you guys seem to have a very kneejerk negative reaction to the term "sociopath" or "psychopath" for that matter, but whatever.

EDIT:

Another interesting thing to note is that these described "psychopaths" are essentially the closest human beings are to being objective thinkers. They're essentially free of human values and morals, and that allows them to see things as they truly are. Perhaps what people find so scary about such individuals is how "free" they are to do whatever they decide to do, unfettered by unnecessary empathy or guilt.