View Single Post
Old 2011-05-13, 11:12   Link #45
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Re: Yukiatsu...

I think the reason he blames himself for Menma's death is pretty straightforward - because he confessed to her ("love", not "like" - pretty ballsy for an 8 year-old) she ran off all flustered and presumably, shortly thereafter, fell into the river and drowned. Jinta blames himself because he thinks she ran off all flustered because he told her she was ugly, and he probably has no idea what happened with Yukiatsu afterwards.

It seems to be that Yukiatsu is every bit as obsessed with Jinta as he is with Menma. Asking Anaru out, it seems to me, was yet another way to see if he could beat out Jinta - this time for Anaru's unrequited affections (and failed again). I think we're a long way from saying he's all better - Tsuruko's intervention may have forced him to confront his inner Manma, and he did save Anaru from a nasty situation, but he still seems to be dealing with serious, serious issues. And let me add, that was some beautiful acting by Sakurai-san - quite different from anything I've heard from him.

Again - this is a mess. Everyone is in love with the wrong person except Poppo, and the jury is still out on him...