View Single Post
Old 2008-03-02, 14:09   Link #31
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
So the reason we don't see 5-7 episodes at 480p on dual-layer standard DVDs is what exactly? How would having fewer episodes improve the quality of 480p shows encoded in MPEG2? Are the bit rates on DVDs with only a couple of episodes so much higher than those on DVDs with more episodes that I'd see a difference on an SD TV? Got an example?
Cleverly worded. Comparisons between low and high DVD bitrate can be found anywhere; I especially like this one that compares R1 to R2 anime releases. However, you specified a condition for the comparison--an SD TV. Unfortunately, I can't give you any examples like that. Even on a typical SD LCD TV, results would be obscured because of poor IVTC and deinterlacing filters, and taking samples with a digital camera is kind of pointless. Also, you're forgetting one crucial element when it comes to watching TV--people usually watch TV from a distance. To conclude, not only are your comparison terms unfair, the comparison itself is near impossible to make.
I already said this earlier when I replied to hobbes_fan: Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, whether we compared low bitrate to high bitrate MPEG-2 encodes, or even DVD to BD. But critics, rabid fans, and people who appreciate quality products (myself being one of them) are easier to anger. There are probably several reasons why companies tend to put 2-5 episodes per DVD instead of pushing those numbers to their limits. Revenue is an important issue. Afterall, anime are niche products that need to employ clever pricing schemes to break even. Maintaining a product's value is another. Anime got its value shattered in the R1 region by high episodes/DVD count, seasonal DVD-box (re)releases, and piracy. You're also forgetting these products are made by artists that would prefer if the quality of their work wasn't limited by technology.

Anime, business, even the world isn't that black and white.
Quote:
I'm always struck by the number of HDTV's I see in the homes of anime characters. I remember that I first started seeing HDTVs in anime homes in Noein. This was rather surprising given that Haruka's mother, an author of childrens books, didn't have a very large income beyond the child support she was receiving from her divorced husband. Since then HDTVs seem rather pervasive; I think Yasuoka Shion's family in Shion no Ou owns one, and that family is also portrayed as having financial problems from time to time.
Thanks for the laugh.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote