View Single Post
Old 2008-10-22, 01:53   Link #1193
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
You don't need legs in space to clamp yourself to something in order to brace for recoil. Either the big ship should just use a turrent instead of konieg monster, or the monster can just shoot the railguns unbraced, and expend reaction mass to counteract the recoil, OR it can shoot in the opposite direction of where it wants to move, making the railguns a propullsion device like I said before.

Finally, if it really does need to be clamped (which doesn't make sense), then use a more simple mechanism. You don't need complex, malfunction prone legs which are begging to be shot off in order to clamp yourself on to something.
You are in a crowded fleet of civilian ships. They are not armed. Therefore to give them a mobile heavy defense when they need it, you send Monsters to land on it to provide fire support. It will need to hold on to something as they made it have more bang than it has propultion mass to give. The space was dedicated to weaponry and armor, not speed and reaction mass.

And shooting to move while in a fleet enviroment is really, really stupid. You need to move away from the fleet, "shoot for thrust....oh wait I just put a hole in the agro ship...my bad."

As for being less prone to failure...I don't think they care because it works. If it works, it works. It also give lots of jobs to those people you are moving from one star system to some unknown destination that might take generations.