View Single Post
Old 2009-09-25, 03:23   Link #5
upiro

Wow, thanks a lot for all the reccs. That’s an interesting list jedinat. I’ve read Hyakkiyakou, Koi Kaze and Otoyomegatari. I liked them all although I found that Otoyomegatari hasn’t quite reached Victorian Emma’s level yet. The artwork is gorgeous of course but the story-line’s moving a little too slowly at this stage.

Hyakkiyokou is somewhat similar to Mushishi but I find that the impact of the stories to be rather inconsistent. Having said that, I thought Story 17, which dealt with the lives of 2 hospitalized women, was simply fantastic. I’ll check out the others which I haven’t heard of. Ashita no Ousama seems promising.

There are several popular josei titles that haven’t impressed me yet such as Nana and Honey & Clover (although I’ve heard the anime version was very good) but I do like Aoi Hana, find Nodame Cantabile charming and enjoy anything by Yamaji Ebine.

I do like stories where romance doesn’t have to be non-existent but is tangential to the plot. I guess I prefer deep and subtle friendships to outright romance but I know that drastically reduces my list …

Glad to hear that you like some of the mangas in my list too Fevvers! The mangas you’ve listed are all fascinating as well. I’ve read Japan Tengu Party and Nasu and I liked them both a lot although I think Sexy Voice remains his most inspired work yet. I haven’t read Baka to Gogh and the Yellow Book but I’ll definitely check them out. Baka to Gogh sounds particularly intriguing.

I love Urushibara’s one-shots and I’m convinced that anything she produces is gold. Other than Daisuke Igarashi, I haven’t met anyone else quite like her. There’s a subtle depth to their works that’s just awe-inspiring. I’ve heard of Helter Skelter and River’s Edge but never read them. I’ll definitely check them out.

Oh, and other mangas that I like but which are not mainstream:
1) Me & the Devil Blues
2) Hiroki Endo’s One Shots and his Eden
3) Mangas by Taiyo Matsumoto (Black & White, No 5)

I did like Kino no Tabi, roriconfan, although I don’t watch anime anymore. Keep the reccs coming, everyone. I know I have particular tastes but I’m always looking out for more. Also, jedinat and fevvers, I liked your lists a lot so if you have more, would love to hear them.