Thread: Licensed Vivid Red Operation
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-27, 10:32   Link #921
Midonin
Last Engage

VROOM 03 - Let Me Say This to Start, I'm Fairly Strong

I don't believe in "turning off your brain" for any show, so I'm not going to say the show's trying to present anything super didactic, but to deny that what's before us somehow shouldn't be analyzed is doing a disservice to the nature of the internet. (The theoretical internet.)

First off, good performance by Yuka Otsubo as Wakaba. I can't hear her without thinking of Toshino Kyoko, but the voices are distinct enough. On the whole Akane vs Wakaba thing, much of what makes someone good at sports are reflexes and hand-eye coordination. Both of which are skills Akane has already. So she may not be able to beat Wakaba in a professional kendo setting, but for a casual match, I can accept they'd be about even. Akane using her superpowers to get to school on time makes me glad that Isshiki Labs are still operating independently. Someone sees your hero identity? Make them a hero, too.

The whole Docking thing is also giving me some Den-O vibes. With Wakaba being Sword Form, obviously. It helps that we already have Dr. Kintaros in the cast.

Since 95% of the world's energy comes from the Engine, and 95% of the world is a pretty big place, the Alone showing up anywhere has some sound reasoning behind it. Not every Monster of the Week is going to be super memorable. Sometimes you're going to get a Weldo. My only tiny issue is that I wish I could've seen Wakaba do something in combat before fusing with Akane, but there's plenty of episodes left for that.

I'm enjoying this show a whole lot. Always have loved the magical girl genre.

Last edited by Midonin; 2013-01-27 at 15:12.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote