View Single Post
Old 2010-08-31, 15:09   Link #16873
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
That's the brute farce method, not quite the same. Sure, one of those probably hit. Did any penetrate the armor even a bit?
No. But that's exactly my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Wright View Post
What I meant was along the lines of "one argument for each person" since no theory here "shines above the rest" like in most mystery novels. In most mystery novels you just focus on one theory and do your best with it. Here it's more of a "IF I GUESS THAT BILL CLINTON IS THE KILLER, THAT'S 1 PERSON LESS TO WORRY ABOUT" kind of deal.

...BUT YOU MISSED ONE PERSON.

The killer is the reader. Because they want to read this twisted story, people die in it.

Seriously though, even if you keep an open mind everyone has some kind of pet theory. I like the Krauss-theory the best.
Well the way I see it, if the true theory doesn't stick out as particularly sound compared to other false theories then the mystery story wasn't well conceived.
Now I'm not expecting that the true theory will shine like a sun in a world of darkness, but at least a bit shiny than the rest, yeah I'd expect at least that much.

I think that "coming up with theories" is the easiest work of a detective, and the less detective-like job. That's because it's possible to come across the true theory by mere chance using a brainstorming technique. And finding the answer to a mystery by mere chance is actually an infringement to the knox rules.

The true praiseworthy detective skill comes later when you actually try to discern the truth from the sea of lies, but that means the truth must be seen somehow.
That doesn't mean that the truth must be seen by anyone, but it must definitely be seen by someone who has the skill to see it, and not just by someone who had the luck to just fancy that theory more than the rest.

When you create a bulk of theories like a shotgun round, you practically just create a sea of lies, with possibly a single truth in them. But creating lies is not what a detective should do, a detective job is to find the truth.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote