View Single Post
Old 2012-01-01, 14:40   Link #7
Undertaker

I actually love the introduction of Takatoo.

One of the reason for lowering popularity back than was a lack of central story line. Takatoo's introduction sets him up to be Kindaichi's Moriarty.

The only things I have problem is that some of the recent cases (the mid length 8-10 chapter ones) has lost the best part of the series IMO. Which is that you can follow along the clues and guess the perpetrator(s) and their tricks. It use to be that when Kindaichi is explaining things you can go back and find what he was talking about and find the "exact" frames.

The recent mid-length case (2011 one for example) there are a some clues that they don't lay it out as clear as they use to and therefore impossible to figure out until the solving chapters. Like you know the this piece is part of the puzzle but but you can't fit them together. Granted, it's isn't as bad as Conan's shock expression with nothing shown, but it was the best part about the series, at least for me.

So I just that this year is a long case and not just 8-10 chapters case.

BTW, I do like Conan but like you, Kindaichi is just so much better IMO. It's kind of interesting between these two series though.

Conan was created by Shonen Sunday to counter the popularity gained by Kindaichi in JUMP. It's art style and quick pace put it more over with women and kids under 15. Kindaichi then adapt , in part, with a series of short and mid cases that didn't exactly work out to put it back on top. Which leads to Detective Academy Q that had moderate success at best and fans actually craving for the return of Kindaichi which finally leads to it coming back and settles as a yearly event of sort that gave it a second life.