View Single Post
Old 2012-12-14, 01:11   Link #2
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Character-driven sci-fi set in a near future where a conflict brews over a planetary system and its resources.

Ideally, the manga would do its best to balance the alternating tugs of motives of all involved, taking a deep look at it all, and thus time would pass very slowly over the course of the series. Kind of like how the show 24 managed to fit so much into 24 hours, I can envision this manga going years, but only actually covering a month long conflict.

It would also show how nothing is black and white, and how regardless of what the motives of those who orchestrated the conflict are, the actual soldiers in the field have their own set of issues they confront and deal with.

The tech would be relatively realistic; just enough beyond what we have at present that would allow wars fought over planets to be feasible. It doesn't necessarily have to try to explain how humanity went from Earth to being a galaxy-spanning species. The focus should be on the people involved, more than the actual setting.

The economics behind this, from how markets play out when your societies are able to strip mine planets, to what resources are needed to wage war on these scales would be looked at in depth (and this particular "war" would be portrayed more as a local conflict; perhaps slowly letting the reader realize everything they become invested into through the course of the series is being repeated umpteen times over in other corners of the known inhabited universe). A lot of these issues would be portrayed through shifting the point of view between a huge cast of characters, ranging from the front line shock trooper, to the accountant of a fuel depot.

Ideally this manga would attempt to tell this conflict through the eyes of as many people caught up in it as possible.

There wouldn't be any aliens. It would be entirely human-driven.

I'd make it a monthly serialization, with a 60 page chapter/month, published over the course of twenty years.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote