Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-20, 10:22   Link #803
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I certainly found this episode compelling, but a couple of things bothered me about it. In particular, wouldn't running increase Hibito's oxygen use? I understand his urgency, but I'd imagine that eighty minute figure didn't include strenuous exercise.

Damien's trip up the side of the ravine was remarkably uneventful. He seemed to just slide right up the side of the cliff rather than bouncing off the rocks or getting stuck along the way.

And, of course, there were the sound effects from Hibito's fall. Perhaps he could hear them, and we hear them from his point of view.

If this really does end in a few weeks, that doesn't leave much time for Mutta to get to space. For those of us hoping for a continuation, I took a look at the ratings on the Geocities site which have been updated through mid-December. There's actually another anime in the same time slot, Battle Spirits, which Space Brothers routinely outdraws every week. It gets a rating in the mid-twos pretty much each episode. Browsing the manga sales list at MyAnimeList shows cumulative sales of volume 19 at 370,000 copies as of November 11th, a pretty respectable total compared to others on that list. Whether the TV series gave the manga a boost, I can't say. I can't find much in the way of merchandise for this show, though. Even that figurine of Mutta with Apo doesn't show up in a search any more.

I give the writers credit for leaving the ending of this sequence quite open. It seems possible that either or both of them might die, though killing off Hibito would make little sense from the perspective of the manga-ka or his publisher unless he was ready to end the series.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote