View Single Post
Old 2012-02-28, 08:21   Link #27948
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Another sorta crazy theory~

Pushing further the logic of "the real Kinzo" vs the one in Yasu's story, I've been wondering basically how much of everything is altered. Yasu does that, rewriting things in order to make sense and be part of something larger. Her treatment of Battler shows that pretty well.

So basically, what if this is arc 7? A world rewritten to make sense to Yasu.
No time to get into what this can entail, but the idea is that the more she tried to prevent her "world" from crumbling apart, the more Yasu ended up having to picture negatively everyone in the family. Arc 8 arguably could be the result of actually breaking Yasu's illusion: in it, Battler shows a family where everyone is nice to each other and claims that Ange forgot that this is how things really were.

I guess it's like saying that "fantasy" is an illusion, but so is "mystery" in most aspects. If we compare "reality" to how much Yasu imagined insane things considering Battler, and try to apply that to everyone else, I think a lot of assumptions falls back.

One interesting thing about this is that Kinzo is never shown to be particularity nice to Shannon or push her to solve the epitaph, while he is particularily nice to Kanon and pushes him to solve the epitaph. The former being the truth, the later being how she rewrote it to make sense as part of her story? It sounds likely to me.

So perhaps basically a huge part of the Umineko backstory is only how Yasu rebuilds things. The probably best example I can think of is how everyone dies as a result of Battler's sin. That's certainly not an universal truth, but this is probably how Yasu rewrote things to make sense with her "world". She seems very obcessed with ideas such as fate and various other esoteric ideas that aren't necessarily magic.

When Eva accused her of just taking advantage of George in arc 2 (and that will later dump him or so implied by Eva) was actually pretty much right on the mark, it seems, yet it was presented to us in a way where Shannon agrees with Eva but only because she's a "furniture and servant" (and not because she actually loves someone else).

So ultimately, Umineko would be about breaking off two set of illusions and to redeem everyone in the family.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote