View Single Post
Old 2012-03-02, 00:41   Link #776
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalStar View Post
Name recognition is a much more powerful force than you take it for.
What makes you think I'm downplaying the importance of name recognition?

Quite the contrary, I think that name recognition is very important. For moe competitions, a girl is often better off being the 3rd, 4th, or even 5th most popular female character in a very popular series than she is being the most popular female character in a much more obscure anime.

Quote:
Enough to boost Yuri and Yui to where they usually stand in matches without Kanade in, anyways.
No doubt being an Angel Beats! character helps Yui.

Yuri is such an important part of Angel Beats! in her own right that I'm not sure if it's fair to say the same about Yuri, though. It's almost like saying "Haruhi Suzumiya is helped by being in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalStar View Post
In general, same series splitting affects weaker girls (who depend more on name recognition) much more than stronger ones.
Yeah, I agree with that. Which is much of the reason why I don't think Kanade and Kuroneko were significantly held back by same series splits in Nova 0.

Quote:
Day 2: Remember that Hecate was someone who did not even make it into regular season last year, while Index did, and while she didn't do too well she did won some matches. If anything, losing to Hecate here is surprising. (And indeed, she won against Hecate on day 6, when only Uiharu who is almost likely in a different series is within).
This is a bit of stretch, imo. As for Hecate, you don't think she might be getting a Shana III bounce? It strikes me as possible, at least.

Quote:
Also, Mugi lost to Shinobu by like 900 when she was getting close to Kagami on day 4 without anyone from K-on in the same arena.
Yes, and Shinobu might be getting a Nise bounce, as I argued.

Quote:

Day 3: Iwasawa is not really that good of a comparison, as she relies much on name recognition to begin with and thus is almost like getting split in large size arena even without anyone actually splitting. Tomoyo and Kyou have no one close to compare to begin with (Maria and Kanzaki Kaori aren't going to be putting up much fights no matter what happens). Ikaros got rather uncomfortable close to Rin, who is someone strong (and maybe a bit lucky) enough to actually advance in phase I.
Perhaps I should make clear here what I mean by "significant factor" or "significant vote shift". Does In-Series Vote-Splitting shift a few votes here and a few votes there? Maybe.

Does it really matter? A vote shift that doesn't result in a change of the order that the girls come in is not even significant, imo.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-03-02 at 00:53.