Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-01, 17:33   Link #972
Sol Falling

Full breakdown in communication here? Hyper b's point had nothing to do with the omakes. He was saying that the recap itself is what can provide value, by giving us a perspective of what the writers consider the key points of the past episodes. If conscientiously done, a recap can provide valuable insight into the meaning of a series.

In this case of Chihayafuru S2's specific recap episode, I don't necessarily disagree. There was definitely some engagement on that level as I watched the recap episode. For example, the transition/interruption of the 'serious' scene between Kana and Sumire about romance being preserved via expressive formality, into the joke about Kana's eyelashes was kinda bizarre but at the same time effective. It cut short the sentimentalism the original episode afforded towards Kana's feminization/Sumire's expertise in contexts beyond karuta, not necessarily to negate the value of those developments, but to implicitly acknowledging that they weren't the focus.

However interesting the selection and treatment of past scenes might've been, however, all the same I won't deny being disappointed by the recap in having the start of the exciting team tournament finals delayed by a week. The recap episode was alright overall, but I wouldn't place the satisfaction of this one on the level of a fresh new episode with new content.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote