View Single Post
Old 2007-10-10, 04:23   Link #1
wao
OK.

Niconico Douga / ニコニコ動画

A portion of the forum keeps talking about it here and there but it's been around for more than a few months and has become so popular that I think it's about time there was a thread just about this. I hope this is fine by the mods and I don't get blastinated for making a topic...

Spoiler for Information about the site:

But I really wanted to start a thread because right now it's down for upgrading from version RC to RC2, and I read this pdf about the new features. There's some serious additions, about as big as the the time they added a paid service. For example, they now allow the video creator to delete comments off their video, block comments containing a certain word or even block certain users from writing comments. This is a huge change! I don't think I can get used to it yet.

More importantly I read that they're planning on releasing a Taiwanese version of the site on the 19th of October. WTF?! Is it going to work? Is it going to get flamed and spammed to no end? It's very interesting but I wonder how well it'll work, honestly... and whether the Niconico model will work when expanded to a much larger audience, especially since IMO the Japanese internet users tended to be rather separated from a good part of the world due to language barriers.

I'm also very interested in how some Japanese companies are taking interest in really partnering with the site to provide streaming contents rather than going on ZOMG COPYRIGHT VIOLATION DELETEZ0R blitzes. Already one current (?) anime, Saishuu Shiken Kujira, is being legally aired on Niconico. But adding onto the fact that
a. the site can support long and relatively good-quality videos
b. the comments make it very fun to watch
c. people are more likely to respond by creating fan-made parodies/videos/etc
d. it's becoming harder to air certain things on TV (...maybe?)
I think it only makes sense to let more anime be legally aired on Niconico. Already every new episode of anime seems to get uploaded there illegally anyway... And I've always hoped for an internationally-accessible anime streaming site, all the better if it's got fun comments. So I'm looking forward to see how this develops. (although considering there were all those problems with Youtube, I wonder why they get all enthusiastic when it's a Japanese site...)

I'm sure other people on this forum do watch videos on the site, so does anyone have anything to say about it? Even if it's not about the upgrade. I want to talk about it, but in English!

EDIT: By the time I finished typing it had finished upgrading. LOL. BRB, I'm going to see how it works out!