Thread: Licensed Mirai Nikki (Series)
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-16, 14:38   Link #229
miketyson

Watched episode 2. I have to agree with Klashikari: with better direction this episode should've been a nail-biter from start to finish, but instead it just seemed really flat. The mismatch between what I was seeing and how it felt was pretty noticeable.

It covered a lot of ground for one episode and I think this part of the story would've worked better slowed down a bit more, but it has to fit in the available timeslot. I also don't like the Muru-Muru scenes, they make a rushed story feel even more rushed b/c the episode loses another 1-2 minutes of story time. That 1-2 minutes in this episode could've gone a *long* way to improving the tone in some key scenes.

Also, the animation is really, really low-budget looking. The actual illustrations are mostly great, it's just the parts that move that seem really cheap (other than explosions, etc., that're probably CGI).

I'm not trying to hate on the show so soon, but it's giving me the feeling of the show getting the best effort of a studio and budget not quite up to the task. I'd love to be proven wrong.

It's also clear how closely it'll follow the manga, which is good and bad; it's a great manga but it has a lot of flaws, and some of the stuff covered in this episode would be improved by getting changed.

Spoiler for Details:

Last edited by miketyson; 2011-10-16 at 14:45. Reason: Added thoughts, fixed name
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote