View Single Post
Old 2013-01-08, 09:12   Link #42
kivredia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
But the problem that I have with the series is not interpreting what the character are thinking right now, but finding out why are they having those thoughts.

In the last episode, the guy ran his lungs out dry to stop her from leaving Japan, so why is he turning her away now? Where did this development come from? Sorata failed to get what he wanted before, but he never took it out on others like this. The first time it was depression, now it's anger.

In fewer words: I feel that Sorata is not a consistent character because he's constantly becoming what the author needs him to be for artificial drama's sake. The show is a better Romance than a Drama.
I can second that. Right now it feels like Sorata screws up a little too much to be realistic.

Even if his relationship to Mashiro would be only that of a very good friend, its still as bad. The romantic aspect doesn't even really matter, you also wouldn't want your best friend to just leave and stuff. It feels like they are trying to force the drama even though the love triangle and Misaki/Jin relationship provide enough of it and in a more realistic way(Jin moving for other University and so on).

Lashing out and self-denial doesn't really fit into Soratas character imo. Would make much more sense if he just got depressed again, lose his drive to make a game and would be simply insensitive about Mashiros/Aoyamas feelings cause he has no experience what so ever.