View Single Post
Old 2013-05-11, 00:18   Link #19
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
How about talking about, rather than the non-word "progressive," actual stories that positively portray other sexualities and genders outside of the heteronormative sphere?

As a writer I've decided that my unifying theme is that I will portray lesbian protagonists in a favorable manner. It seems to be something a lot of creative types shy away from unless the work in question is firmly in the "special interest" category such as "Gay & Lesbian" or "LGBT Media."

Even portrayals such as Wandering Son and Aoi Hana aren't what I'd call particularly positive. They're basing their entire plot on a person's sexuality or gender identity. I'd like to see more stories with more characters that are not wholly focused on their "gayness" or whatever.

The stories I write aren't "special interest" by any stretch of the world. At their heart, they're science fiction stories and they're meant to appeal to sci-fi fans on pretty much every level. The protagonists of my stories are female and gay. This may be plot-relevant but it isn't the driving force of the plot.

This is something that I've never seen anime do. I haven't seen an action or sci-fi or fantasy anime or manga with a lead who just happened to be gay. Granted, I obviously haven't watched every anime or read every manga, but I have not seen this at all.