View Single Post
Old 2013-08-20, 18:42   Link #70
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I think seeking justice for her Sisters and ensuring their continual safety is still related to her initial goal. It's still a heavily personal matter for her that I would've expected her to follow up on. I think it's wholly out of character for her to consider it something not related to her at all.
It's related perhaps, didn't she already try doing something like that? Remember earlier in the arc where she tried taking down every facility connected to the experiment, only to realize that it was for nothing?

That was where she realized the futility of trying to take down the system. For every, institution or potential researcher she gets to, even more show up to take their place, especially if we consider knowledge to be shared within Academy City's academe. That was when she switched tactics to ones that work around the system instead of ones that go against it directly. There goes her plans of forging Tree Diagram's predictions and sacrificing herself to mess us the experiment's assumptions. That's where Touma comes in.

Once again, I should say that I think it would be difficult and impractical to find those responsible when you have the entire scientific community of Academy City as the enemy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I think it would be a stretch since there's no evidence to say she does realise this. That's exactly the problem. We need more information on what she actually thinks about these things. Having faith in authority is a given, and considering her interactions with anti-skill members so far, there's nothing to suggest she mistrusts them.
I don't think it's so much an absence of faith in Anti-Skill than it is being aware of its limitations. Throughout the arc, there is no sign of Mikoto even considering approaching Anti-Skill to deal with the problem. I mean, she has all the evidence she could even need, particularly all the classified research documents she had to obtain to learn about the project. Even so, she spend her efforts with the goal of stopping the experiments rather than incriminating the responsible parties. From this, it can be guessed that while she trusts Judgment and Anti-Skill for mundane peacekeeping matters, she knows that they are powerless when it comes to the territory of city's dark side.

One of her exchanges with Kuroko is telling in this regard. In the exchange, she makes it clear that becoming an enemy of Academy City, as she resolved to do while heading out to tamper with Tree Diagram, entails becoming an enemy of Judgment as well, which would apply for Anti-Skill as well by extension. As Kuroko puts it, she would protect the peace and order of the city even if it meant going against Mikoto. At this point, it's clear that she views them to be on opposite sides of the fence.