View Single Post
Old 2008-03-03, 00:03   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
There's nothing wrong with mecha except for the fact that I don't like it. I think there are two factors that determines if a series is watchable, not "good", to me. The first is realism, and the second is the "wow" factor. Bleach, Naruto, and other action series isn't very realistic, but if I didn't drop them, then they impressed me in some way, maybe with cool fighting sequences or something. For mecha, I just don't go wow, and that's why I had so much trouble with Eureka seven. If I don't find their "robots" cool, and it's not realistic, then I don't want to watch it, even though I enjoyed it. This is why even though I enjoyed most mecha I see, I don't really want to start another one, since 1) they're not realistic and 2) past mecha series didn't "wow" me.

So what determines if something will "wow" me? This all comes down to tastes. I like swordfighting, and I never really played with robots or like them. This is why I find Shakugan no Shana interesting, while mecha just decent. I guess in a way, ninjas, zanpakutō, and Hiten Mitsurugi-Ryū have some elements of realism in them, but robots just don't to me.

Of course one except is...the currently #9 on my top anime list, because in a very disturbing way, its drama just takes over everything that I don't like.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote