View Single Post
Old 2017-09-28, 23:28   Link #14
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
I don't mind with Japanese live action but holywood....
So things most likely will happen there are:
[...]Black guys (Not trying be racist but holywood just like to included those people somehow)[...]
What were you thinking when you wrote that sentence, Roxis? How should I interpret it? There are very few "black guys" in manga, anime or Japanese live action. Is that why you like Japanese media, perhaps? You used the word "healthy" in the context of requesting certain stories before. Might the issue be about more than vocabulary?

The first item on your list in this thread also puzzled me, a little. Mitsuha and Taki swap bodies and -sometimes over explicit objections- explore the physical aspects of these exchanges within the animated film. At the end they physically re-connected, in a different way, while in their own skin. No longer the same person. If a physical relationship develops from that re-encounter, I wouldn't mind seeing them touch each other with permission and for mutual enjoyment. After the clumsy fondling and glances from the beginning of the story, showing the pleasure of sex between lovers might well be a logical extension of the ending as told. Given, again, the physicality of early moments I'm curious why kissing is on your list?

Racial conversion pops up again. How close to the original location would actors need to be born for their casting to be representative of the setting? Would they need to be raised right there to be able to do a role justice? Is it ok that Mone Kamishiraishi is not from that particular part of Japan as shown in the film? Does it matter that the aforementioned actress, also known as 北原 三枝, playing the role of 「ユミ」"Yumi" in the 1953 sequel film to 君の名は is not actually Ainu herself?

Shinkai and his team went through several working titles before settling on this name 君の名は。for their 2016 film. A name with that well known baggage. I also find it confusing and often unnecessary to change titles, however. We somewhat agree on that aspect of the remake or adaptation process. Especially if the new film is otherwise a quite literal recreation of source material in other media or an earlier movie. Even today Japanese TV guides frequently list films with a "reinvented" Japanese title - titles which frequently seem to have very little to do with the actual title of the work and these are printed without providing the original title in the original language ... and that's while doing little more besides slicing scenes to accommodate splicing in commercials and adding a dub and/or subtitles to the foreign language material itself. In some Japanese subs and dubs a specific reference is also substituted for a generic term.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote