View Single Post
Old 2011-06-15, 18:07   Link #22908
cronnoponno

Honestly when I watched the anime(which was before I read this), I figured this was one of those stories where the magic is ''real'', but it's catalyst to powering it was belief(not totally uncommon), meaning it wasn't some metaphor for some special warm fuzzy feeling, but happens in the most literal sense. Sort of like Fate/Stay night's magecraft, where it can only work if it is scientifically possible in reality, although FAR less useful than that as there had to be a literal method that could be performed by humans here and it had to have matching scenarios completely.

I thought Battler was aware of many Fantasy scenes, like when Beatrice told Battler about the candy that Beatrice threw in the air, which did happen by magic. But would alter reality if he could explain a human method, and then turn into something that could be naturally done. Hence Beatrice would have to slowly prove she exists by doing low level magic and then going much higher.

Needless to say this series really confused the hell out of me on my first go through.

I like the theory hagaruma made though, that's pretty close to what I started thinking halfway into Umineko.
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote