View Single Post
Old 2004-12-02, 22:31   Link #63
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpsicat
I think people are confusing simplified translations for paraphrased/non-literal ones. Just because the translation is not literal/verbatim does not necessarily mean it has been simplified. In general (aside from the cases Sylf has mentioned, such as idioms and cultural phrases), it is indeed possible to have translations that retain the original line's connotations/subtleties without them being Engrish, though they may not be the simple S-V-O sentences some viewers prefer. It seems most people want de-Engrishfied translations but not simplified ones, which seems reasonable to me.
The best example I can think of translation-wise and culteral-wise where it is very difficult is like anime such as Azumanga. Some of the jokes can only occur when it's spoken in Japanese like Exploding bus - Bus Bakuhatsu. Japanese Tonguetwister. I can't remember what the AD Vision translation was exactly but they totally substituted the meaning since the joke cannot carry forward.

Another joke would be in School Rumble Ep4 (or 5)? Kappa.

As you can tell, translators have to be careful on when to substitute and when not to. This is especially true in jokes and cultural issues.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote