View Single Post
Old 2012-10-29, 08:08   Link #194
Esebian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
For CERN, it is. And frankly looking for others to "independently reproduce" the result in this case is just stupid, not everyone has a LHC in their backyard.

Is CERN going to to additional testing? yes. Does that change their assertion that they've found the Higgs? no.

In any case, this has gone off the rails enough. The original point is that there's a difference between actual science and random off-the-handle claims without any basis to back it up. Not ALL claims are created equal, otherwise you're basically operating under the same principles that lead to pseudo-science crap like creationism.

I can make a claim that I can jump to the moon from the surface of the earth because I have the ability to step on air, should a completely bogus claim like that be received with the same "open mindedness" as, say, the Standard Model in physics?

Ehm, even if you could do that...in the outer space we have a vacuum, so no stepping on air xD (sry for nitpicking ^^)

Ah well as promised the name of the researcher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Tandy

Problem is his case was with infrasound not with microwaves but my claim basically is that even an un-ionized wave with the correct wavelength can affect the human brain (without ofc cooking it XD) while yours is that they can't. Btw I know that infrasound is a mechanical wave and that mcrowave is an em-wave but the major difference between those 2 is only that the one needs a medium while the other doesn't, both have the same rules at the basics.

But as cases are rare and as u said they are NOT reviewed by some scients in a lab (at least I don't think so) I more or less give up. The problem is that this case won't satisfy you and it's completly correct that it won't as this is no actual proof.

Ah and for the conspiracy theory thingy it seems we both talked at cross purposes xD

My point is that conspiracy theories are things that animate people to think over certain circumstances both as a normal rational thinking human and ofc scientists aswell. Out of that animation people can think of things they have never thought before of and can come to new (scientific) conclusions, I never meant that you should believe in those, they should be just the stepping stone for actual discoveries.

Sry, I sometimes lag the right words, not in english but in general to convey my point.

EDIT: Ah and yes I have to thank u aswell it's nice to have a partner in a discussion who doesn't believe in everything you say without an actual proof and is not getting subjective or anything over the time
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote