View Single Post
Old 2013-01-04, 03:46   Link #51
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's not that people think that Air is "bad". It's that some of us (including myself) find it weird for Air to be there but not Clannad. Air's a good show, but I think most would rate Clannad higher.

From what I've read from Key/KyoAni fans, Clannad is widely considered the best of the three Key/KyoAni properties. And when I've read people differ with that opinion, it's generally to put Kanon first, not Air.

If neither Clannad, Kanon, or Air was there, you could just chalk it up to the people behind this list not liking Key works. But Air making it when Clannad doesn't is just odd to me.

It's like having three extremely similar retired pro baseball players that played in the same era, and the one widely considered the best of the three doesn't make the Hall of Fame, while one of the other two does.
The Air v. Clannad question basically comes down to whether you pick the groundbreaking one or the one that's the evolutionary pinnacle. I actually find the choice of Air defensible - projects like Air simply didn't have that level of production quality in 2005, and of the Key-KyoAni collaborations, the one that had by far the greatest impact on me was the one I saw first (Kanon in my case). It doesn't strike me as outrageous in the way that Zero no Tsukaima's inclusion is, since that's neither the first of the Kugamiya trio (which is Shana) or the best of the three (IMO Toradora).

The standout missing titles for me would probably be Azumanga and Bakemonogatari (though not necessarily over K-On as some suggest because my experience with Japanese exchange students who show up to my anime club is that both titles are exceptionally well known).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote