View Single Post
Old 2008-09-22, 19:43   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenmue View Post
I am relatively new to watching anime. Looking for something that is quite thought provoking with an air of mystery.
If you thinik you can hang in for 74 episodes, there's no better example of a show that is "thought provoking with an air of mystery" than Monster.

I liked watching shows like Boogiepop Phantom, Paranoia Agent, and Ergo Proxy, but I found myself wondering at the end what the point of the show really was. Neon Genesis Evangelion evoked the same reaction from me. I still think these shows are worth watching, but they tend to be overrated.

Noein and Dennou Coil are both thought-provoking science-fiction dramas with young protagonists. Noein attempts to wrap its story in quantum physics, but it's still pretty fantastical. Dennou Coil posits a more believable future where children co-exist in both physical and virtual realities. Both shows are thought-provoking and well produced, and both have that touch of mystery you're seeking. The sci-fi drama Planetes describes the lives of space "trash collectors," but includes a nice romance and a subplot about imperialism and terrorism.

Finally for a few less mainstream choices you might look at
Ghost Hound, a mix of psychology, brain science, and mysticism
Oh! Edo Rocket, a surreal, satirical show with historical personages and anachronistic segments
Narutaru, young teens get enormous powers from strange beings with unfortunate and disturbing consequences
Kure-nai, by the producers of Baccano!, a high-school student with an unusual after-school job becomes the bodyguard of a young heiress

Enjoy!