View Single Post
Old 2009-08-29, 18:37   Link #3126
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I've read some stuff about Medaka turning into battle manga. Also when u read Bakuman they trying some way turn Trap into battle manga. How do turn mystery into battle manga? How is medaka turning into battle manga?
Battle manga, in the simple, easy-to-get explanation, is something like Shonen Jump's Big Three: Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. Of course there's evolution over time and whatnot, but the basic contemporary usage of the term refers to manga along these styles. Lots of fighting, heroes vs. rivals, speechs about friendship, powerups, training arcs, etc. Staples of mainstream shonen.

Medaka Box's latest chapter has the characters fighting with flashy moves, the "good guys" being beat up by a powerful rival, etc., which apparently feels a lot like a scene in battle manga. Whether it will actually become a battle manga or not is beyond any fan's speculation really. Detailed discussion of this issue should be in the Medaka Box thread I think.

As for Bakuman...the manga-in-manga "Trap" is supposed to be is a mystery manga; obviously since it does not exist nobody knows what it's really like, but I'd imagine the tone is closer to something like Detective Conan or D.N.Angel than Naruto. Manga can change in tone over time. Reborn started out as a goofy mafia-themed comedy but the story got more and more serious over time and the main character fought one opponent after another using exotic powers in flashy battles set in long story arcs, hence its readers say that it evolved into a "battle manga."
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote