View Single Post
Old 2012-09-28, 02:30   Link #74
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Something I've been noticing with my characters is that the higher-level powers (or, the non-summoning ones, at least, since I don't do summons) tend to be of distinctly limited utility compared to the lower-level ones. By which I mean that the abilities I have chosen for my mouse button are uniformly first-tier abilities. Nothing in the higher levels that I've found so far has made me go "now this is awesome, and I'm going to use it enough that I'll map it to the mouse to have it ready in an instant." They're all things that can be useful in certain situations, but most of them really are just majorly inefficient. The mana-cost-to-damage ratio tends to be much too high compared to the low-tier powers, and the high-tier stuff tends to have cooldowns that make using them as a primary attack impossible altogether. In fact, I kind of feel that if I was somewhat more skilled I probably wouldn't ever need to use anything but the tier-1 powers at all. It's nice that they went to some lengths to keep the low-level powers relevant, but I don't like that it seems to have come at the cost of getting any truly awesome new powers as I level up.
Yeah emberquake is kinda meh. Flame hammer is so much win, and it's the first skill you get as an engineer.

Sledgebot though is a decent high-damage tank.

Oh by the way I had a greatsword that had 400-ish base dps and a +370 physical damage over five seconds.

And earlier today I replaced it with a unique great hammer. It's nice to see loot continuously improving as the game goes along.