View Single Post
Old 2011-11-15, 05:19   Link #2211
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Hence my point. Everything he does is barely of any real consequence. The pen has more power then Shu himself at this point. It's hard to care for the character when he's just being dragged by his feet into the world and only makes any sort of ripple on it every now and then in short bursts. It's like I'm watching two shows in one. One is about political/rebel conflict of GHQ and Funeral Parlor, messed up Japan, etc. And another is about Shu's daily life as honorary sulking Merry Sue. No fun.
Him being dragged by everyone around him is paralel to the current state of japan if you can still remember episode 1. Also his daily life was only shown at school in episode 1 and 3. It's not like he has been sulking about his life the entire serie. His whining in episode 5 does seem reasonable to me, because he is forced into a harsh combat training. Something that he has never done before.
Quote:
To be honest characters like him "this doesn't involve me, this is crazy, I need to protect my ass" just piss me off. Characters like Saji in 00 or Flay in SEED, they can just drop dead for all I care. Shu's only excuse at this point is "he's a school boy blah-blah" but from the looks of it the Funeral Parlor are the same age too, heck that little kid was even younger—not that Shu gave a damn. So then what excuse does that leave Shu with?
The fact that he wanted to protect something stems from the fact that he thinks that his life feels too much like the current japan, being dragged by others. He wanted to protect someone or something to break free from this cycle.
Unlike the funeral parlor, Shu was only involved recently. They have been fighting longer than him and they probably have better reasons to fight than Shu at this moment.

Quote:
Well it's interesting, but it's not very intriguing. I mean what consequence does that have on everything else that's happening? The funeral parlor people don't care. GHQ certeinly doesn't care. Plot wise it won't make any damn difference, just give Shu more to sulk over, woohoo; probably will result in a ton of useless monolog and flashbacks too. The fact they're hiding it all too well is also problematic. You know "show, don't tell" kinda implies you better make sure people actually see it when you show it, no point in having some hidden object puzzle in the dialog.

Think of it another way. If it wasn't there would it make negative difference? Nope. It's only saving grace is that is somewhat implies Shu met Inori already, which moves the love plot. Shu meeting Gai, completely useless. Worse still I blame it for the inconsistent semi-crappy emotionless dialog we got between Shu and Gai so far. I don't really like being some Enigma machine just because the writers couldn't figure out how to setup their story straight with out injecting code into the dialog.
You are jumping to conclusions way to quickly when most of the plot has not been revealed yet. You may think that some of meetings were pointless, how can you judge that when the series has not even reached 1/4 of it's total yet.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote