View Single Post
Old 2012-09-13, 00:51   Link #2435
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
So, speaking of something "sort of" culture related. Back when I was Japan in April, I noticed two things Japanese cuisine related different in North America that surprised me considering I thought I knew a decent amount about the cultural before I went (..I guess I'm easily surprised)

1) Certain restaurants or cuisine types are considered "high end" there vs. being gimmicky and considered cheap in North America - Tempura & Teppanyaki Restaurants

2) Miso soup in Japan is not served at the beginning of a meal but along with the rest of the cooked food. I actually asked the nicer restaurants that I frequent here in Toronto why and was told: "People here are just used to having soup as an appetizer"
It's kinda funny, but the stuff you commonly see as "Japanese food" in US are mostly ones that we don't actually eat very often. Especially sushi.

And likewise, the common everyday food we eat, is almost never seen in US.
Most popular food are like Japanese style curry rice, ramen, gyudon (and other cheap donburi), soba and udon, etc.
But no, EVERY freakin Japanese restaurants here in US are about sushi, tenpura, more sushi, and sushi. WTF.
The restaurant I went near where I live (in US) served 5 pieces of Takoyaki at seven bucks, and small side of yakisoba at eight. Those are supposed to be CHEAP JUNK FOOD for god's sake.
That's like serving french fries and tacos for 7~8 bucks.

Japanese restaurants in the west are absolutely NOT a representation of everyday Japanese meal. Not even close.