Thread: Licensed Date A Live [Light Novel]
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-31, 10:36   Link #1705
Marly
>AS

Yeah, actual characterizations are put aside for stock characterizations like the one you've mentioned, which is, as I said, just lazy. If the author can't think of anything, they'll just use whatever was popular in the other series, recycle it, and hope it gets fans. I still do feel that a character becoming part of a harem is the worst fate a character can suffer- Not only do they usually lose most of their significance in the story, but they also lose all their dignity as a character by being reduced to a nobody that will not even get back the supposed love since the main character will doubtlessly choose the female lead. It robs the character of a dignified ending, and death of that character would've been much preferable.

And yes, self-insert is the only possible reason I see people wanting Shidou to get all the harem captures. I really would not be surprised if this series was nowhere as popular as it is if it wasn't for the art, actually. Most people probably ended up here through the artist's works, since she was involved in yet another pandering-heavy series that is Neptunia.

I initially took interest because the premise was interesting. I liked The World Only God Knows, and since this series had a similar premise (but this had the potential to be possibly more fun) I really wanted this series to be good. Though until the author does something drastic, I suppose it will stay a wishful thinking.
Marly is offline   Reply With Quote