View Single Post
Old 2004-01-25, 02:04   Link #54
Iridi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion
Iridi, you're not being fair. 90% of anime is crap, yes, but 90% of everything is crap; and there certinally are some series that are more 'intellectual' then the majority of what you're likely to find on TV or in the movies no matter where you go. To go back over some of the series that have been mentioned:
I am being a bit harsh...
I just feel that I have yet to see an anime that was as complex as nearly any high level movie I've seen.

Spiritually moving, one or two series
Emotionally enticing, aplenty
Historically intriguing, a few

So none have really been intellectually stimulating, except CB, but that only if you look past the simplicity and delve into the world itself by reading various websites about its mysteries. And IR made me wonder about human social interaction for a short time. But I have yet to see any anime that has caused me to sit for minutes or hours afterwards just pondering its hidden depths.

Perhaps I just need to broaden my anime horizons. I haven't seen most on your list...

But rereading the original post, he's not really asking for high integral calculus, just some of the more thought-provoking anime out there, so yes, I was being too harsh. Me is jaded, I guess...