View Single Post
Old 2004-02-27, 00:49   Link #54
spav
Wavemaster

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

[ old man voice ] Back in my day [ /old man voice ] we had to use third or fourth generation VHS to see fansubs. It was pretty neat, you had to know the guy behind the guy, behind the guy...etc. That being said, it's the subbers prerogative.

But I will say this. I downloaded my first fansub from an XDCC bot last night. I kinda had fun. I'm not an IRC noob. I am an IRC "I forgot everything." About 8 years ago, I learned IRC on BitchX while wasting time running tech support at a local ISP by my college. That was a blast. XDCC was your friend. I don't even remember having fserve's back then. Our sysadmins were major contributors to eggdrop, and the like, and even contributed to BitchX's code base.

Sure it took me longer to figure out how to get the file, but it came back to me. And now the clients are all, right click here to send/receive, it's even easier.

You're always going to have people that want the easy way out, like the automatic transmission. And sure in heavytraffic that's great, it's easy and you don't have to think about it. But I personally prefer the stick shift, where you have to work and think and pay attention to the road you travel on.

There's a place for both, but ultimately it again comes to the choice of the group. I had a good time in A-E's new channel last night, even talked about the episode I was downloading. And yeah 1 AM EST I was swearing and cursing cause I couldn't figure my client out (X-Chat), but we made up and it's all good now. Even got a little help from some nice folks in there. I think it was a good idea to release that way to promote the channel. Like a get to know your fansubber night.

p.s.: All that time I spent on IRC went away pretty quickly when a few choice people/channels decided to get mean and shitty with me. It doesn't take much, and the general mood of the channel can sour even the most die hard fan. Someone above said that channels were mean, and they're not all that way, but a few can be.
spav is offline   Reply With Quote