Thread: Higurashi Q & A
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-29, 08:27   Link #1874
Boinciel
Mii~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAvatarFan View Post
I don't know Japanese, this is just something I've read by someone on the old FUNi board. The title "ひぐらしのく頃に" has a pun and I think "Shrill Cries of Summer" comes from this pun, even though the Japanese title is the same. I know... one post on an internet forum =/= the truth, especially since I myself have no background knowledge in the language either. It would be nice if someone could confirm this.
Both titles do play off different meanings of the word "cry", but it's played differently in each. ひぐらしのく頃に, higurashi no naku koro ni, directly translates to "when the evening cicadas cry". The cicadas are an important element in the sound novels and anime, providing an unforgettable background noise with their calls. However, it can also be read as if the cicadas are crying in remorse for the tragedies occurring in Hinamizawa. The link in Shrill Cries of Summer is more obviously interpreted as the idea of people crying out in pain than the calls of the cicadas, but it still has the important idea of dual meanings.