View Single Post
Old 2009-02-18, 16:01   Link #117
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I give you this as an answer

Quote:
No offense, thanks, but no thanks. I don't want or need the help.

I said I had heard about it but was unable (and now, am unwilling) to try it. However, read on for a big reason which came to light why I have even less desire to ever use Windows 7 once it comes out.
*I* on the other hand find it hard to sympathize with someone who complains for something, gets an easy solution for it, which I tried myself just to be sure it's simple and quick, and disregards it without even trying. I just point out the obvious problem. I don't make fun of people, they manage that without my help.

The Linux bit is also valid. I can't for the life of me understand the huge difference of UAC versus a Linux password prompt. Having used Linux a number of times, and having dual booted with it, I would think that UAC is easier to circumvent, but that's not what the UAC complaints are about. People who complain about UAC don't complain about security. They complain about it being intrusive. However I see a number of people who extensively use Linux, therefore should have been at ease with security prompts, complain about UAC being terrible and all that, when in fact, to me it feels pretty much the same as the Linux pass prompt. And since the sysadmins I know usually deal with Linux and a number of them feel Windows is some sort of plague, like many hardcore linux users, I thought I'd point out one of Linux's security mechanisms, just in case it applies.

What do you mean "so much time"?? Is less than 5 minutes too much time getting into Classic Theme, enabling the Quicklaunch bar and resizing the taskbar to the old standards ( a thing you only have to do ONCE)? For a home user, it's nothing. For an enterprise, Volume License, install, tweak, image, deploy would be a pretty decent scenario with minimum fuss. So just how much time is it?

I talked about the "retrain" argument in the previous post. If a corporation CAN have tangible rewards, that is if MS can actually demonstrate to the enterprise HOW something new would help their productivity, it'll take it. If they don't see any benefits, they don't take it. I'm not sure how MS deals with large corporations, but if they want the old theme back, it can be done easily. I doubt that is the corporations' main problem cause Vista was following the Classic theme setup even with Aero enabled. From what I recall, corporations care mostly about application compatibility, hardware ability and hardware compatibility. Obviously they won't like eye candy cause it drains resources needed for something else, but I seriously doubt they'll have that huge a problem with 7's desktop composition.

Also, you do realize Microsoft can't create multiple desktop schemes to suit EVERY possible need. It's a mainstream OS, it wants to be as generic as possible while trying to move forward. Personally I don't see a point in clinging to a 10yr old desktop setup. One of the things I like about GDE and KDE is that they feel different from Windows, in their own ways anyway, without giving up functionality and ease of use. I believe the Superbar is an interesting feature. I like the change in the systray behavior and the ability to customize it. I'm not sure I care about not having a sidebar, cause it didn't bother me really and the Gadgets are there anyway so they are taking up space again. Trying to be different from previous releases is good, cause when you're not, the opinion that starts circling around in the usual FUD circles is "rebrand and sell, nothing new, even the desktop and desktop functionality is the same".

The point is, if a linux distro has some X browser (say Konqueror) inside instead of Firefox, are you gonna recoil in disgust at the abomination and track something that has Firefox pre-installed or just INSTALL THE DAMN THING and get on with life? In Windows, if something's missing but you can easily restore it, what's the problem with actually DOING that? So my 7 beta had only English keyboard installed so the usual Language bar wasn't there. Was it terribly hard to just go add it and click a friggin circle that tells the system to display the Language indicator on the taskbar (all of which is in the same setting panel)?

Last edited by npal; 2009-02-18 at 16:32.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote