View Single Post
Old 2012-07-06, 22:17   Link #1120
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Question, Undertaker: were you in Japan at the time? I.e. around Feb-Apr 2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
I guess that's where our view differ than. The way I recalled was that HanaIro was structure to appeal to a more mass market with its multi-facet marketing strategy including manga series and co-operations/sponsors from Hot Spring tourist spots. That project was suppose to be part of an market effort for Kanazawa City tourism.

As for what Karice67 said, while that was true that the it was overshodowed at time during promotion, it had even less promotion outside of anime magazine in other medias. Original anime either market towards anime magazine or manga magazine. And if it was designed to appeal to mass market, then you set up a huge event to attract media. Anohana had zero of those compare to HanaIro.

All it had was a novel serialization on Da Vinci a month before airing and promotion posters on Saibu Railway's Chichibu City station where the anime staged. IMO, You just can't call a series to be designed toward casual viewer when there is little to no promotion to casual market with zero fan base.
Question 2: what is your concept of marketing to the mass market?

Because, what you've described above wrt HanaIro sounds to me like an effort to bring anime-related tourism to Kanazawa, i.e. they were trying to tap into the market for otaku and casual anime fans (and girls who like cute things, perhaps) going on anime pilgrimages.

How many non-anime customers they scored because of that is unknown, and I'm not even going to try guessing. However, that kind of promotion is, to me, not directed primarily at the mass market.

Let me refer you to these two pages: PV spots for AnoHana and HanaIro. You might notice that AnoHana had no less than FIVE 15 second TV spots, whilst all of HanaIro's PVs were 2 minutes long, i.e. they were definitely not for TV.

Whilst I don't have evidence for it, I suspect that the AnoHana TV spots were played on Fuji TV and the other broadcast stations during prime time in order to attract some of the J-drama and variety show audience.

That's not even looking at other forms of advertising, such as posters at bus stops (I saw some Cross Game ones when I was still in Japan, but I wasn't there for AnoHana. Of course, in CG's case, the Adachi and high school baseball factors were also very important), in commuter trains etc, which none of us overseas viewers would even know about unless someone decided to blog about them.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2012-07-06 at 22:58.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote